Railways Vs Food Aid - The Kenyan Dilemma  

Kigen Gilbert
Member Moderator

In the last 10 years, the government has been pushing for massive infrastructure projects. Roads ,Airports , Stadiums .Railways ,Ports and Smart Cities have been  proposed , designed and some implemented. There lies a dilemma as poverty continues to bite and a large number of Kenyans are starving in the Northern parts of the country. To put in  my two cents worth, the government has its priorities wrong.  The fallacy of 'development' as projected by the government is more inclined to infrastructure rather than social welfare.  It is sad to see the government boasting of a very expensive railway while its citizens are dying of hunger , being killed by bandits , lacking healthcare and education services stalled. 

The biggest development a government should invest is on its people ;Healthcare, Security , Food Security and Education.  A growing economy is one that has its people empowered. Whats is the value of building infrastructure that the majority of the people cannot afford to use? A  massive stadium  while citizens starve to death?  The development that the people need is one that improves access to clean water , better healthcare and food.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2017 10:03 am Isaacndarwa, Esther Gathambo and Fsociety liked
Sam Ndirangu
Member Moderator

I'd like to disagree to some degree, the country can only grow if investment is done in projects that are able to grow other sectors..

Buying food for starving Kenyans however noble it is won't solve the problem come next year or the next time there is drought or famine.

The government should invest in development projects and infrastructures coz they spur growth and trade in this marginalized areas which is what they are actually suffering from. 

This infrastructures are good bt the problem is I don't have much faith in the jubilee government being able to manage them. Like the SGR

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2017 4:17 pm
Fsociety

There is an imbalance of how the state is prioritizing projects this country. There is need to develop all industries with keen consideration based on how they affect the population. 

Giving a priority to infrastructure and collapsing or paying less attention to the agricultural or production projects is a very clear revelation that the government wants to create more capital, to create more capital and has no intentions to create more commodities for more commodities. 

Evidence of this is the collapsing of our sugar industries, and other home based industries, which render us dependent on the same. Infrastructure is a good way to move forward as a country, but better if we have fair distribution of the projects. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2017 4:32 pm
Kigen Gilbert
Member Moderator
Posted by: Sam Ndirangu

I'd like to disagree to some degree, the country can only grow if investment is done in projects that are able to grow other sectors..

Buying food for starving Kenyans however noble it is won't solve the problem come next year or the next time there is drought or famine.

The government should invest in development projects and infrastructures coz they spur growth and trade in this marginalized areas which is what they are actually suffering from. 

This infrastructures are good bt the problem is I don't have much faith in the jubilee government being able to manage them. Like the SGR

my point is they should invest in projects that solve the hard hitting problems eg drought 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 12, 2017 5:23 pm Esther Gathambo liked
Aurelia

I concurs with you completely. Jubilee government is having misplaced priorities where emphasis is being placed on infrastructure too much at the expense of other greater needs of the society

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2017 5:24 am
Aurelia

The problem with our government is over ambition. We seem to forger that we are just a developing country. We are not yet developed to a point where we can spend on luxuries such as big stadiums and bridges yet

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2017 5:27 am
Aurelia

Our emphasis should be to ensure food security for our country first. That is the biggest milestone we can overcome. Because food insecurity is one of the biggest problems facing third world countries. A well fed nation will automatically result in a healthy nation. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2017 5:29 am

Working

Please Login or Register