effectiveness of strikes  

Molly
Member Moderator

Based on the current strikes of the lectures and doctors that recently came to an end, the question that comes to mind is, are strikes in Kenya effective, was it really all worth it or it was a waste of too much energy, time and effort?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 4:07 pm Gideon Mwangi and Esther Gathambo liked
Esther Gathambo
Member Moderator

Do i see other strikes in future, yes! In all honesty better deals could have come from this strikes, so, NO! Strikes in Kenya are not effective and even though so much has been sacrificed during this strikes, a little more sacrifice could have led to better deals. My hope is that the implementation process works smoothly for them

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 5:01 pm
Gideon Mwangi
Member Moderator

For one I think the current strikes have been instrumental especially for future negotiations between public institutions and the government. The government was literally brought to its knees by the doctors who were relentless in their pursuit. Especially once the union officials were jailed. 

But one thing for sure is that we need public facilities that come on as first choice options to Kenyans irrespective of one's social class. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 5:21 pm
Kigen Gilbert
Member Moderator

The Government is always  reluctant in participating  in negotiations unless they are under pressure. Strikes, despite not  being as  effective, aid in getting the government  to commit to negotiations. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 5:37 pm
Isaacndarwa
Member Moderator

It's very unfortunate that the only way Kenyans can ask for better dues is by protesting. Maybe a new government would be more amenable to the needs of the ordinary Kenyan. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 5:59 pm
Philip Kombo
Member Moderator

Strikes in Kenya are as effective as they can be, in that, they get the Government to sit down and listen to people's grievances that, otherwise, would have been ignored. Implemention of the changes can not be a measure of how good strikes are...since at the end of the day, it's all up to the very same Government to effect the change. At the end of the day though, the little change achieved is better than nothing. Look at the hospital crisis...you can't say that the strike was ineffective because changes will be made somewhere, and those changes will help save someone's life. That is better than nothing. Right now, any change is good change. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 6:03 pm Gideon Mwangi and Sam Ndirangu liked
Molly
Member Moderator

I do feel they are instrumental to some point and  basically that's how most issues are solved of late

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 6:40 pm
Sam Ndirangu
Member Moderator

It's a bad picture for us and our government that the only way people can have meaningful progress is through strikes and protest. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 6:50 pm
Sam Ndirangu
Member Moderator

I just feel the gains that doctors have gained weren't worth a 100 days of no work.. Several people have suffered others died because of this.. 

I kind of feel that the people who died during this period due to the strike,  that their deaths were for nothing..

I was hoping that after all of this, even after going to jail that they would eventually give us the health reform that we desperately need.. But now it seems that's a fight that will have to be fought again in the future bt with stronger and braver people than our doctors. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 6:57 pm
Esther Gathambo
Member Moderator

But will the government sign that CBA?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 7:16 pm
Esther Gathambo
Member Moderator

Quick question does the new agreement for doctors include money for research facilities as well as improving the hospital facilities or its just salaries?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 7:36 pm
Philip Kombo
Member Moderator
Posted by: Sam Ndirangu

I just feel the gains that doctors have gained weren't worth a 100 days of no work.. Several people have suffered others died because of this.. 

I kind of feel that the people who died during this period due to the strike,  that their deaths were for nothing..

I was hoping that after all of this, even after going to jail that they would eventually give us the health reform that we desperately need.. But now it seems that's a fight that will have to be fought again in the future bt with stronger and braver people than our doctors. 

The doctors can't be blamed at all for the Government so obviously being lethargic in solving the crisis. They tried to get their point across but the media and political powers twisted the strike out of context so much that public opinion was turning against the doctors, and that's why the strike lost most of its impetus and had to come to an end. The fact that reforms don't get enacted is not the fault of the doctors (the employee) but the fault of the Government (the employer), because it is the Government that has the power to change things in the first place, not the doctors. Let's make it clear, the doctors did what they actually could in going on strike, they have no power to directly effect change...the ball is in the Government's court now in terms of implementation of reforms. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 15, 2017 10:32 pm Esther Gathambo liked

Working

Please Login or Register