RACISM STILL EXISTS IN AFRICA  

Esther Gathambo
Member Moderator

Sometimes i dont feel like am in my own country, so i do sales from 6-7pm everyday for this restaurant and the experience is so daunting, more so because the people who reject you (which is very okay) and even worse dont answer your hellos/ ignore you completely are foreigners, maybe its their culture but i dont know, why would someone treat me so shittily and they are in my own country or rather why do we treat them better because you know they are white or look close to being white. 

A few weeks ago, i went to this club and i couldn't enter because i was underage yet my 20 year old white friend was allowed to enter, they didn't even ask for his documents yet i am three years older than him and i was asked to produce my documents. This by the way has happened to me so many times. Racism does still exist in Africa and we are the ones driving it. Even when we call a white person, 'Mzungu' thats racism by the way. But why do we continue treating them this way? This are not the only experiences i have had, i mean i have a lot of white friends, and i dont want to disregard about the shit they go through when they are here, like for example the Kenyan police do sometimes harass them when they dont have their passports or you know accuse them of a crime they didn't commit and then they have to pay this huge bribes. So, in short i believe racism still exists in Africa. Lemme bring it closer home,  racism still exists in Kenya!

Edited: 8 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2017 4:47 pm Sam Ndirangu and Fsociety liked
Sam Ndirangu
Member Moderator

It's more sad coz most of the time it's your 'people' whom bully and discriminate you..

I have had several such incidents where I would miss out on opportunity simply because there are white guys or rather foreigners who deserve a higher priority than the rest of us poor typical Africans..

This made me wonder do we get the same sort of treatment and respect we give to this guys when we go to their countries.. 

I think the problem is in Africans and ourselves and its no wonder we always lag behind.. Coz it seems to be really entrenched in our minds that wazungu or white skins are better than us.. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2017 5:44 pm Esther Gathambo liked
Sam Ndirangu
Member Moderator

To add to that.. That thought philosophy has corrupted us to a point we discriminated our own..

Same Kenyan bt just because they have lighter skin they somehow get better treatment..

Now we see everyone has this urge to make themselves somehow have a lighter skin coz they think it makes them look better, more intelligent and sophisticated..

Such a shame. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2017 6:06 pm Esther Gathambo liked
Fsociety

Racism indeed exists in Kenya. In my own view, I feel like I the main reason for this is how we've been programed as a society from the time of birth and this influences us throughout our lives. It starts with how we're introduced to an education system that isn't our African brainchild or invention, then consumerism also has a part to play, we consume more foreign products and this has a long term, in fact, permanent effect, as it makes us naturally amd subconsciously inferior to the other races that control our lives. 

Personally, I'm an Africanist and doesn't trust at all the foreign policies and influences, races and racism exists and is here to stay unless Africa cuts itself from the western influences and push for mutual respect and self determination. This is going to be hard, and sometimes bloody, but that's how we'll raise the bar for Africa as a continent and the whole world will conform into a global place, internationalism at its realisation. This is how we would curb a particular race feeling superior over the other or treated better than the other. 

It is the deficit that brings all this to exist, racism. 

Africa arise! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2017 6:38 pm Esther Gathambo liked
Fsociety

Racism indeed exists in Kenya. In my own view, I feel like I the main reason for this is how we've been programed as a society from the time of birth and this influences us throughout our lives. It starts with how we're introduced to an education system that isn't our African brainchild or invention, then consumerism also has a part to play, we consume more foreign products and this has a long term, in fact, permanent effect, as it makes us naturally amd subconsciously inferior to the other races that control our lives. 

Personally, I'm an Africanist and doesn't trust at all the foreign policies and influences, races and racism exists and is here to stay unless Africa cuts itself from the western influences and push for mutual respect and self determination. This is going to be hard, and sometimes bloody, but that's how we'll raise the bar for Africa as a continent and the whole world will conform into a global place, internationalism at its realisation. This is how we would curb a particular race feeling superior over the other or treated better than the other. 

It is the deficit that brings all this to exist, racism. 

Africa arise! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2017 6:47 pm Esther Gathambo liked
Gideon Mwangi
Member Moderator

Here is the sad part though, it's here to stay... There is a huge majority of people especially in Kenya who treat white people like demi gods. And that alone makes me sick. The way people automatically think that white is always better because what? They are from a much more 'developed' nation is jus bulls***. 

I have interacted with people from many cultures through my life, and the truth of the matter us, we are all the same. A different skin tone and a little accent is all the difference we get but in everything else, WE ARE THE SAME!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2017 6:51 am Esther Gathambo liked
Esther Gathambo
Member Moderator

And this 'pointy' thingy is very annoying, the other day, the guy i work with after he saw this couple (black lady and white guy) was like, 'People who marry white people are very lucky' and i was like, whaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!! I gave him a lecture after that. I was so irritated. And honestly you will hear a Kenyan parent teling you the same thing. Sad reality.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2017 10:29 am
Aurelia

This is what is still happening in south Africa too.....I recently read the story of a Kenyan who was stopped at the Oliver Rambo airport,,probably in Johannesburg,,, through rounds of security checks while whites were being given free passes. Racism is still very much alive and active. Its very sad

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2017 5:52 am
Aurelia
  • Esther dear, you have to realize that any sales job is not at all easy...and not to the that the rest are. But sales requires an extra degree of toughness. You will deal with a lot of hurtful, arrogant, outright rude and even despicable people. So you have to wear a tough face at times.... furthermore, am sure that there are other more racist Africans to fellow Africans than you would find white to African racism
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2017 10:48 am
Aurelia
  • Esther dear, you have to realize that any sales job is not at all easy...and not to the that the rest are. But sales requires an extra degree of toughness. You will deal with a lot of hurtful, arrogant, outright rude and even despicable people. So you have to wear a tough face at times.... furthermore, am sure that there are other more racist Africans to fellow Africans than you would find white to African racism
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2017 10:49 am

Working

Please Login or Register